The Shootist is a 1976 American western film directed by Don Siegel and based on Glendon Swarthout‘s 1975 novel of the same name. It is notable as John Wayne‘s final film role. The supporting cast includes Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, James Stewart, Richard Boone, Hugh O’Brian, Harry Morgan, John Carradine, Sheree North, Scatman Crothers and Rick Lenz.
In 1977, The Shootist received an Oscar nomination for Best Art Direction (Robert F. Boyle, Arthur Jeph Parker), a BAFTA Film Award nomination for Best Actress (Lauren Bacall), and a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor (Ron Howard), as well as the National Board of Review Award as one of the Top Ten Films of 1976. The film received widespread critical acclaim, garnering a 90% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Lauren Bacall was just fabulous in the part.
- It was wonderful seeing some famous old actors like James Stewart, Richard Boone, Hugh O’Brian, Harry Morgan, John Carradine, and Scatman Crothers.
- Ron Howard had an major role and did well.
- This movie played on the classic Western theme of the old gunfighter who has lived past his time. The Old West is dying, and so is J.B. Books. J.B. Books cheats cancer by staging one last shootout where he kills 3 but is killed.
- It is a moving story, told at a steady pace.